Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chalk Boards

Chalk Boards

   If only a chalkboard could tell a story..  I dream it could.  I found this chalk boards yard ago in San Juan Bautista, Ca.  It was placed outside my favorite antique store at the beginning of the quaint little town.  I stopped the car, It spoke to me.  Awkwardly placed in the front yard of the       victorian home, it sat amongst other artifacts from days gone by.   With a beautiful oak frame and stand to flip it over once the last lesson had been taught. 

   My mom and I purchased the piece of history and its  tremendous size.  Driving home, I imagined it situated in our school room and the studious children placed in front of it, soaking in the knowledge, written on it.  Sadly the chalkboard was to big and did not fit on the walls of the school room, due to the attic like configuration.  It was promptly taken off the stand and fixed to the wall in Everett's room.  Years went by, and it was a place for encouragement, lyrics and  solar systems drawn on it. 
  When we moved , I pleaded that it not be left behind.  So it was removed and packed up with the rest of the most important things and taken to our home in Los Angeles.  Now it is proudly placed in our kitchen circa 1973.  It stands as a reminder of our last home and the memories and the fun things that were written on it.  It serves as a place for schedules, dedications of love to the latest crush,  a place of encouragement. Displayed is our favorite bible verse or quote from literature.  Right at this moment it reads,  " You have bewitched me heart and soul."  Hopefully we all know what that is from, the beloved and timeless Pride and Prejudice.
    
    The chalkboard is a piece of history, I ponder the children who sat in front of it, or if it served as a chalkboard to young pupils in early California. I love this Chalkboard, but I cherish the things written on it, and the people who visit here and sign their name.  Small cherished blessings we hold dear, as life goes on its merry way.
 




Take a moment as my dear friend would say and breathe…..

No comments:

Post a Comment